This is what was left of our chicken pot pie. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture before we nommed it all. It was THAT GOOD.
Adapted from Warner's Topless Chicken Pot Pie on SparkPeople.com.
Chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot piiiiiiiie!
1 Oronoque Orchards 9" Deep Dish frozen pie crust
1/2 cup Leeks (white part only, chopped)
4 tbsp I Can't Believe it's Not Butter - Light
1/4 cup White flour
1 cup Chicken stock, low sodium
1 pouch Perdue Roasted Chicken Short Cuts (9 oz.)
1 package Mixed Vegetables, frozen (10 oz.)
1 dash Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place a large saucepan over moderate heat.
3. Add the butter and allow to melt.
4. Add the sliced leeks and saute for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
6. Slowly add the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until mixture thickens.
7. Add the thyme, pepper, vegetables, and chicken; stir to combine.
8. Prick the bottom of the pie crust and place on a sheet pan; fill with chicken mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Cool 4-5 minutes before serving.
I did reduce the calories a bit from the original recipe by using the butter substitute, and the original called for 16 oz. of chicken but the 9 oz. looked like plenty, and it was. I cut this into 4 pieces instead of 6 because it falls apart easily, and Prof. Peanutbutter nommed two slices in no time. I had one and saved the other for lunch the next day.
Oh. My. Nom! This was soooooo good. It tasted much less healthy than it was. Cutting out the potatoes and the top crust definitely make it lower calorie.
Chef Shorty: 4.5 noms
Prof. Peanutbutter 5 noms