Saturday, February 20, 2010

Double-duty fajitas


I discovered, totally by accident, how easy it is to make fajitas one night and omelets the next morning.  Friday night, I realized I had forgotten to take the chicken breasts I was going to use for dinner out of the freezer.  I needed a back-up plan, and decided chicken fajitas would be easy enough.  I was starving, so I made enough for us to each have three fajitas, but as usual, I got full and didn't eat my last one.  Below is the recipe for 5 fajitas, which will generate some leftover fixings.  I will explain after.

Southwestern Chicken Fajitas

5 Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 cup chopped Perdue short cut chicken breast
3/4 cup Green Peppers, chopped (I used frozen)
3/4 cup Red Peppers, chopped (I used frozen)
1/2 cup Onions, chopped (I used frozen)
1 cup Yellow Sweet Corn, Frozen
5 tbsp Hood Low Fat Sour Cream
3/4 cup Sargento shredded, reduced fat 4 cheese Mexican
Chili powder, black pepper, etc. as desired

1. Spray a large pan with Pam and stir-fry the veggies on medium heat for about 5 min., longer if frozen.
2. Add the chicken and continue stir-frying for another 5 min. Add any desired spices.
3. Drain the mixture, then serve in wheat tortillas with sour cream and cheese.

Number of Servings: 5

 


Chef Shorty: 4 noms
Prof. Peanutbutter: 4.5 noms

Each tortilla contained about 2 tbsp. of the chicken and veggies mixture, and 1 tbsp. each of cheese and sour cream.  When I declared myself full, Prof. Peanutbutter stored the leftover mixture in the fridge and commented, "You know, you could put this stuff in an omelet tomorrow morning, I bet that would taste pretty good."  Did I mention I'm marrying a genius?
So the next morning I made this:

Chicken Fajita Omelettes

1/2 cup leftover chicken and veggie fajita mixture
1 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 cup Sargento shredded, reduced fat 4 cheese Mexican

1. Spray two small pans with Pam and place on medium-high heat.
2. When the Pam starts to brown, pour 1/2 cup Egg Beaters in each pan.
3. Flip when eggs are almost cooked through.
4. Add 1/4 cup each chicken and veggie mixture and cheese to each omelet.
5. Fold over and reduce heat to low until cheese is melted.

 

Each omelet is very low-calorie and delicious.  You may wish to serve them topped with a little low-fat sour cream (which I was going to do, but forgot).  We had whole grain white bread with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter - Light on the side.

Chef Shorty: 4.5 noms
Prof. Peanutbutter: 4.5 noms

This was such an easy way to make two meals, and now I will always have the ingredients on hand for last-minute food emergencies.  I especially like the frozen peppers and onions as they keep longer and are already chopped.  I always have frozen corn on hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment