Tonight I, Chef Shorty, delved into the world of Mexican noms, as my fiance, Prof. Peanutbutter, loves teh Mexican noms. I found a couple of recipes on my fave fitness and diet site, SparkPeople.com, and adapted them slightly for a few less calories and to accommodate what I had on hand.
The best part? One serving of each (chili and cornbread) totaled 454 calories, and I burned 466 calories doing 45 min. on the exercise bike earlier today. Woot!
Adapted from Chef Meg's Taco Soup on SparkPeople.com.
18 oz lean ground turkey
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1.5 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
14 oz tomato paste
14 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies
14 oz kidney beans, dark, drained
1 cup water
1 cup corn, frozen
4 oz green chilies, chopped
1/2 cup garbanzo beans, smashed
1. Brown ground turkey and chopped onion over medium heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
2. Drain mixture. Add spices and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add tomato paste and cook additional minute while stirring.
4. Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add corn, green chilies, and mashed garbanzo beans, simmer an additional 5 minutes.
6. Top with light cheese if desired (not in nutrition info).
Adapted from Low-Cal Cornbread on SparkPeople.com.
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup skim milk
8 Tablespoons I Can't Believe it's Not Butter - Light, melted
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a 9" round cake pan with baking Pam.
2. Mix in large bowl both flours, cornmeal, Splenda, baking soda, salt.
3. Mix milk in with the melted butter, then add the Egg Beaters. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until very few lumps remain. Pour into cake pan.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Cornbread - 4 noms
Chili - 3.5 noms
Cornbread - 3.5 noms
Chili - 4.5 noms